On the evening of Wednesday the 13th, a man armed with a bow and arrows was arrested by Norwegian police after killing several people in south-eastern Norway.
“We can unfortunately confirm that there are several injured and also unfortunately several killed in this episode,” local police official Oyvind Aas told a news conference. “The man who committed this act has been arrested by the police and, according to our information, there is only one person involved.“
Kongsberg, Norway – Five people were killed and two injured on Wednesday in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg in Norway by a man with a bow and arrows, local police reported. The suspect has been arrested.
What we know
The suspect is a 37-year-old Dane whom converted to Islam and known to the police. He was arrested and investigators do not rule out terrorist motivation. At around 6 p.m., a man armed with a bow and arrows shot through the streets of Kongsberg, a town of nearly 25,000 people about 80 kilometers from Oslo in south-eastern Norway. There have been several attacks in the Kongsberg area, and in particular in a supermarket. A total of five people were killed, said Øyvind Aas, the head of the local police, who also reported two injuries, including an off-duty policeman who was in the supermarket. Two of the injured were hospitalized in intensive care units but, according to Øyvind Aas, there is no indication that their lives are in danger. The head of the local police did not give details of the profile of the five victims.
“Given the unfolding of the facts, it is natural to assess whether it is a terrorist attack“, added the head of the local police force, Wednesday evening.
It is 6:47 pm when the local police apprehend a suspect. He is a 37-year-old Danish man who resides in the town of Kongsberg itself.
“We decided to confirm this information because many rumors circulate on social networks around the perpetrator of the attack, some [implicating] people having no connection with the serious acts committed“, specified the local police. No other suspect is actively sought.
Questioned during the night, the man must be brought before a judge during the day with a view to his placement in pre-trial detention. According to his lawyer, Fredrik Neumann, he is cooperative.
“He explains himself in detail and he speaks and cooperates well with the police,” he told reporters. According to the TV2 channel, the suspect admitted the facts.
The Norwegian police confirmed Thursday morning information given by the television channel: the suspect has converted to Islam He is already known to the police, who added that they had been in contact with this man before for “fears of radicalization“. These fears date back to 2020 and before, Norwegian police official Ole Bredrup Saeverud said during a press briefing.