London, United Kingdom | The London Aquatics Centre, an Olympic swimming pool in London, suffered a chlorine gas leak on Wednesday morning which led to 29 hospitalizations and the evacuation of 200 people.
A giant chlorine gas leak caused the hospitalization of 29 people on Wednesday in the Olympic swimming pool in London, which led to the evacuation of 200 people and a massive mobilization of the emergency services.
The London Aquatics Centre, built in the east of the capital for the 2012 Olympics, was evacuated around 10am local time due to ‘gassing’ which occurred during the delivery of chemicals for the pool, said its manager.
Patients suffer from “minor breathing difficulties”
The ambulance services said they transported “29 patients to the hospital and examined 48 other patients on the spot. The majority of the patients suffered from minor breathing difficulties”, specified the same source.
13 ambulances had been deployed on the spot, in addition to specialized teams. Firefighters said a “significant amount of chlorine gas” had been released into the air following a “chemical reaction”.
During the intervention, the inhabitants of the district were advised to close their windows while the town hall had advised to avoid the area, cordoned off by the emergency services.
Do you want to send us your videos or pictures or even scoops? Contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org